Our History
For many years, the major health care facility in Vermilion Parish was the Palms Hospital . The Victorian structure has its beginning in 1906 as the Fenwick Sanitarium. In 1910, this edifice was sold and became part hospital and part hotel.
 
In 1935, the Fenwick Sanitarium was renovated and became the Palms Hospital with forty (40) private patient rooms. Each room had a lavatory, a brass bed and a mirrored dresser. Majestic stained glass transom and cut glass front door gave the Palms Hospital a look of distinction. A group of physicians purchased the Palms Hospital in 1945, and operated the hospital for more than twenty (20) years.
 
On February 6, 1962 , Hospital Service District No. 2 was created by the Police Jury of Vermilion Parish to provide a new parish-owned hospital for the community, and the Board of Commissioners was appointed. The hospital was funded by the now expended Hill-Burton Act and a local bond issue. A plot of approximately ten acres was procured and the building was started in the fall of 1963.
 
Abbeville General Hospital opened its doors to the citizens of Vermilion Parish and surrounding areas in February 1966 as a community based, non-profit healthcare provider. After numerous expansions, renovations, and modernization projects, AGH continues to provide quality healthcare services on the same site that was dedicated to the purpose in 1966.
 
Today, Abbeville General Hospital is a 60-bed acute care hospital committed to providing quality healthcare to the community and surrounding areas. Our facility is modern, completely equipped and staffed to provide our patients with a full spectrum of modern technology, procedures and treatments, as well as comprehensive specialized care.
 
AGH is a fully licensed and accredited hospital that meets all requirements of the State of Louisiana and the Joint Commission.

   

 

© Copyright 2014, Abbeville General Hospital. All rights reserved.

This Institution is an Equal Opportunity Provider and Employer.